Which plants are toxic to dogs?

Our doggie friends are very curious and can chew on any plant with an intoxicating color or smell. But unfortunately, many plants are dangerous to the dog. If the less toxic can cause temporary vomiting, others, even ingested in small amounts, can lead to the rapid and inevitable death of the animal. Let’s take stock of poisonous plants for dogs, but also about what to do in case of poisoning.

Which plants are toxic to dogs?

Which plants are toxic to dogs?

Here is the list of the most important poisonous plants for the dog.

  • Acacia: Present in many gardens and in the forest, acacia is a real poison for the dog.
  • Aglaonema: this plant causes significant digestive irritation in dogs. It is not uncommon for the animal to drool too much and have heart problems.
  • Anemone: only a small amount should be ingested to cause the dog’s death.
  • Aroma: The beauty of the aroma does not prevent it from being a particularly poisonous plant for the dog. Its fruits and flowers are real toxins.
  • Cyclamen: when ingested in large quantities, cyclamen can cause seizures in dogs.
  • Foxglove: due to the digitalis it contains, this plant is deadly to dogs.
  • Ficus: this easy-to-maintain plant is very common in our interior, but it is nevertheless a real poison for dogs because it contains latex in the leaves.
  • The mistletoe: very toxic, the mistletoe causes digestive disorders and heart disorders.
  • Hydrangea: deadly, this plant quickly kills the dog, which dies by suffocation.
  • Holly: the red fruits of holly are poisonous to the animal. If the disorders are digestive in small amounts, they can lead to the death of the dog at high doses.
  • Hyacinth: Hyacinth irritates the digestive tract and causes diarrhea and vomiting, but intoxication is generally temporary.
  • The oleander: Although very popular in gardens, this plant, which requires almost no maintenance to grow, is deadly to the dog. When the animal ingests it, it dies by suffocation, without it being possible to intervene.
  • The lily: as with the cat, the lily is a very poisonous plant for the dog.
  • Lily of the valley: flowering lily of the valley is just as dangerous for dogs as for humans.
  • Rhododendron: if ingested in small amounts, it causes vomiting and stomach upset. However, if the dog swallows large amounts, the heart is affected and coma is common.
  • The tulip: annoying in low doses, the tulip can have more harmful effects in larger amounts.
  • The yucca: if it is valued for its exotic aesthetics, all parts of the yucca are toxic to the dog, so it throws the animal into a coma.

This is also the case for the following plants:

The list of poisonous plants for dogs is not exhaustive. We have mentioned only the most common. Before making a purchase, always find out the possible toxicity of that plant. In addition, you need to be careful if you adopt a puppy, because these young doggies are particularly curious and may tend to chew on anything that is within their reach.

What are the symptoms of plant poisoning in dogs?

Depending on the plant ingested and the amount ingested, the symptoms can vary greatly. In the “best” cases, the animal will suffer from temporary vomiting. However, ingestion of certain plants can cause rapid and inevitable death.

Here are the symptoms that can be observed in dogs in case of poisoning of a plant.

  • Digestive disorders: vomiting, diarrhea, hemorrhagic diarrhea, excessive salivation.
  • Nerve diseases: tremors, seizures, paralysis, coma.
  • Heart problems: heart failure.
  • Respiratory disorders: difficulty breathing, asphyxia.
  • Kidney failure.
  • Eye disorders: conjunctivitis.
  • Oral disorders: gingivitis.
  • Hypothermia.
  • Death.

What to do in case of plant poisoning in dogs?

First of all, if you observe the previous symptoms of your dog, or if you have caught him ingesting a poisonous plant, it is important to take him to the nearest veterinarian without delay.

If possible, tell the vet the name of the ingested plant. If you do not know it, take it to the office or take a picture of it. Also tell your vet about any symptoms observed in your doggie.

You can also contact the poison center. that animal poison control center and Environmental West, based in Nantes, is available daily at 02.40.68.77.40. It is available 24 hours a day for veterinarians and from kl. 07.00 to midnight for individuals.

What NOT to do?

Faced with intoxication, we do not always know how to act, and panic or lack of knowledge can cause us to make bad decisions. In any case, in case of plant poisoning in dogs, here are the things you should not do:

  • do not try to get your dog to vomit;
  • do not give him anything to drink or eat unless your vet tells you otherwise;
  • do not give him medicine.

In any case, follow the procedure instructed by your veterinarian or poison control center and do not take any other action, because even if you do not think you are doing the right thing, you can aggravate your dog’s situation and compromise his forgiveness, or even his survival. .

How to avoid plant poisoning in dogs?

Unfortunately, an accident happened quickly. However, by acquiring good habits, you can prevent your dog from being poisoned with plants that are dangerous to his health.

  • Avoid planting poisonous plants in your interior and in your garden. Always ask about your purchases to know their degree of toxicity to dogs, and choose other species as much as possible.
  • If you still have poisonous plants for dogs at home, be sure to place them out of reach of your little companion. Set them high up or prevent access through a barrier.
  • When going out, always take care of your pet and never let it wander alone in a wooded area.

Do not overlook the danger that plants can pose to your dog. Their odor and colors can attract your pet and the risk is significant. As we have said, while consuming certain plants “only” will give him a slight temporary vomiting, others may lead to his rapid death without you or the vet being able to do anything, even if ingested in small amounts.

Leave a Comment