To transport your dog in your car, you can choose a box or a transport cage. There are a whole range of models, some of which meet the IATA standards required for air travel. In any case, it is not so easy to find the right transport box for your pet, which is comfortable, practical and safe. Find our advice in this file.
Transporting the dog: what does the law say?
The transport of a dog on board a vehicle is regulated by law, because the presence of the animal must under no circumstances constitute a danger to the driver, passengers and himself.
- L ‘Article R. 412-1 of the Highway Code stipulates that every passenger in a vehicle must wear a seat belt. A dog can be considered a passenger. If he moves in the vehicle, a police officer can give you a ticket.
- L ‘Article R. 412-6 of the Highway Code indicates that the arrangement of the passengers must in no way impede the driver’s movements and vision.
To drive your car safely and to respect traffic laws, you must restrict the movements of your doggie in the cabin. To do this you have three solutions:
- install your little companion on a comfortable and convenient back seat before attaching him with a dog seat belt;
- place it in the trunk and separate it from the cabin by means of a partition or protective net;
- place your dog in a transport cage that you can install in the trunk of the car, on the ground or on a passenger seat.
How do you choose the transport box for your dog?
There are many models of dog carriers on the market. First of all, let’s clearly distinguish between the box, which is generally suitable for dogs under 11 kg, and the cage, which is designed for larger doggies.
The box – which we will use to talk about the two forms indistinctly – remains the safest and most comfortable way to transport your pet in your car. However, not all models are created equal.
Here are the criteria that we advise you to consider for a successful purchase.
The size of the dog
It is important to choose a comfortable box for your dog. It must therefore be adapted to its size and weight. The animal must be able to get up without touching the ceiling with its head (a margin of 5 cm is recommended), lie down completely without being embarrassed and turn around if it feels the need.
There are several materials for dog holders.
- fabric or nylon, which can be more easily folded and stored, is above all reserved for small dogs. It is important that the model is well ventilated so that the animal does not feel too trapped.
- Plastic has the advantage of being solid, resistant, removable and easy to clean, especially in case of a small “accident” (urine, excrement, vomit, etc.).
The closing device
Your dog’s transport box must be secured to prevent it from escaping. Look for a model with a zipper, whether you buy a fabric or nylon box. For a plastic box, prefer clips, rivets or locks.
Other parameters to consider
When choosing a transport box for your dog, it may be wise to choose a model with certain additional criteria.
- Easy maintenance : your dog can relax in his crate or vomit during the journey. It can also come back full of dirt or grime from a walk. It is therefore important to be able to clean the box quickly and easily. Choose a plastic model that can be cleaned with a simple sponge, or a model that goes in the washing machine.
- disorder : a foldable or removable model is easier to store when not in use. It is therefore much less bulky in your home.
- Compliance with standards : For certain trips, in particular by airplane, airlines impose specific standards for air transport of dogs in crates. If you travel regularly with your dog and you do not want to multiply the models of crates, you might as well invest in a specimen that meets these standards. It will also be suitable for your car trips.
They required standards for passenger dog carriers
With most airlines, only small dogs are allowed to travel in the cabin. However, make sure in advance to avoid unpleasant surprises when you first get started. For all other doggies, it is essential to invest in the purchase of a transport box that meets IATA (International Air Transport Association) standards.
The characteristics of an IATA approved transport box are as follows:
- the box is designed in a rigid and solid material, fiberglass or resistant plastic;
- the cash register door is equipped with a two-point locking device (top and bottom) with a central locking system with anti-joint locks;
- the hinges must not exceed the edges of the door by more than 16 mm;
- the upper part and the lower part of the body must be held together by bolts;
- the box must have a bowl attached to the mesh door and accessible without having to open the cage;
- the box does not have to be equipped with wheels, but if this is the case, they must be removed during the trip or blocked with strong adhesive tape if they can be retracted.
The price of a transport box that meets the IATA standards is higher than the other models, as it varies between 50 euros and 100 euros. Note that it is possible to rent a copy for occasional travel.
In order for the animal’s journey to go well in the IATA-approved box, it must be perfectly adapted to its size. He must be able to stand on it without touching the ceiling, turn around and lie on it without discomfort. An absorbent material (mattress, plaid, blanket, sheet, etc.) should be placed on the bottom for the comfort of the dog.
No equipment is allowed inside (neither leash, harness nor basket). Finally, it is forbidden to close the box with a padlock.
Any sick or injured animal cannot travel on board an aircraft. You should also know that the administration of sedatives before the trip is prohibited.