Mountain biking, cycling, triathlon, electric bikes, Bike Parks or bike loops, Massif des Vosges is a playground for all cycling fans.
From its mythical Passport, Ballon d’Alsace, La Planche des Belles Filles, Grand Ballon … to its cycle routes and greenways, the Massif des Vosges area adapts to all cycling disciplines and all desires. Numerous historical monuments along the Vosges: forts, castles, monasteries, churches … As you stroll through the small towns or remarkable villages, you will discover stunning architecture and a rich heritage. Like the Château Saint-Ulrich, the best-preserved building of the three castles in Ribeauvillé. Located in the heights of the city, they offer magnificent views of the Alsace plain.
Massif des Vosges seduces nature lovers with beautiful mountain landscapes, moist forests, lakes and water bodies, botanical gardens and parks. Nature offers an incredible view for visitors who want to recharge their batteries in an oasis of well-being. To do this, the Massif des Vosges has many water points such as Lac Blanc. Located more than 1000 meters above sea level, it is below the ski resort of the same name. For Cross-country, freeride, downhill, dirt and BMX fans, a Bike Park has been set up at the resort.
The assets of the Vosges
Several beautiful climbs with routes in the forest will amaze you, such as the ascent to the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle from Kintzheim or Liepvre. In the southern Vosges there is a lot to choose from: Col de Belfahy, Ballon de Servance, the climbs to the plateau with 1000 ponds … On the Vosges side, many cycle loops have been developed from 18 to 177 km. . They can be downloaded from bike.vosges.fr website and app. For example, the Granfondo Vosges loop, a demanding complete route or Route des 4 Cols, is 114 km with 2000 altitude meters.
For the less sporty, it is possible to discover the joys of cycling with the family thanks to the 2 slowUp events. They take place on safe roads. Dates to remember: slowUp in Alsace on June 5, 2022 and September 11 for slowUp in the Ognon Valley (70).
Since March 2021, the Massif des Vosges has had 3 “Bike and Cheese” routes! “. The cheese places, located less than 4 km from the bike paths and the green road in Hautes-Vosges, the Munster valley and the Val d’Argent … allow you to discover mountain cheese (farm monster, goat or mountain tom). Accommodation with” the bicycle welcome “brand offers quality services such as luggage transport, bicycle washing, washing and drying of clothes, safe storage of bicycles, etc.
For the benefit of cyclists, 4 passes for summer are closed to traffic for one day. This is the “Col’Attitude” operation, complete program at www.massif-des-vosges.fr.
Cycling in the Massif des Vosges
2 passes of the Massif des Vosges are marked as historical routes in the Tour de France. These are the Ballon d’Alsace (since 1905, the Ballon d’Alsace has seen the Tour de France pass 25 times and hosted goals at the top 4 times) and La Planche des Belles Filles (7 km increase to 8.7% on average, but with steep slopes of up to 24%!).
- Mirabellen’s Flower Tour: from 26 to 29 May 2022. 20th edition – 3 stages – 500 km – D + 6600. This race is one of the only three international cycling events in the Grand Est region. The Breuches-Saint Amarin scene covers the southern part of the Massif des Vosges. Not to mention the women’s race, the Mirabelle Classic on September 25, 2022, an event that is part of the Coupe de France Femme.
- Vosges cyclomontane: July 2 and 3, 2022. Legendary event since 1973,
this race plays balloon jump between 3 peaks: Le Ballon d’Alsace, Le Grand Ballon, Le Petit Ballon. The distance for the longest run is 208 km for an elevation gain of 4150 m.
- 4th climb with her: October 8, 2022. It is the legendary ascent of the Planche des Belles Filles. The advantage of this event is that it is a race that is open to everyone: healthy and disabled athletes.
Mountain biking in the Vosges
Thanks to its reliefs (fourteen peaks over 1,000 meters), the Massif des Vosges is essentially a country of mountain biking. In addition, it is even possible to cross the massif on a mountain bike thanks to a marked route from north to south, ie 418 km for 9370 meters altitude difference. This is the famous TMV.
- Alsace’s Bicycle: 2 and 3 July 2022. Various highly technical routes are offered from 30 km to 130 km in the Wangenbourg-Engenthal forest (67).
- Guided tour of the Vosges: from 2 to 9 July 2022. 3 mountain bike routes on loops of different distances (300, 600 and 1000 km). 3 gravel tracks (350, 700 and 1200 km) from 7000 to 25000 D +.
Triathlon and Massif des Vosges
The Massif des Vosges has lakes open for swimming, paved roads for running and cycling.
- Obernai International Triathlon: June 3 and 4, 2022. From XS to L format, more than 12 different nationalities participate each year.
- XTerra and Xonrupt-Longemer: July 2 and 3, 2022. Every year, more than 2,000 athletes meet at Xonrupt to celebrate the triathlon, the nature version. A crazy, sporty and family atmosphere around Lac de Longemer.
- Gerardmer Triathlon: September 3 and 4, 2022. More than 4,000 participants with two courses reserved for children.
3 bicycle parks in the Vosges
- Cross-country, freeride, downhill, dirt and BMX : the 3 bicycle parks in the Massif des Vosges are accessible from an early age (with qualified guides).
The Massif des Vosges is the ideal place to enjoy the nature and the magnificent landscapes offered by the region’s reliefs. With its mythical passports, its mountain bike routes or the “Bike and Cheese” route, the Massif des Vosges will satisfy all cycling enthusiasts.