The Congolese government warns Rwanda, he says, of its stance aimed at disrupting the Nairobi peace process, a process of discussions with armed groups active in the DRC, initiated by Felix Tshisekedi and facilitated by Kenya to negotiate peace.
Last Friday, May 27, President Félix Tshisekedi held a meeting of the General Defense Council expanded to include the presidents of two chambers of parliament, the representative of the judiciary and the head of the security services after the rapid development of fighting in recent days between the army and M23 insurgency in the areas of Rutshuru and Nyiragongo (North Kivu). The Council, in which participants noted Rwanda’s support for the M23 uprising.
For Kinshasa, by supporting the M23, Rwanda aims to torpedo the DRC’s pacification efforts.
“The military effects found on the ground, the images of our armed forces and the testimonies gathered from our peoples sufficiently show that the M23 is supported by the Rwandan army. This recidivist stance is clearly aimed at torpedoing our peace-building efforts in the framework of the Nairobi process, ”said Minister Patrick Muyaya, a spokesman for the Congolese government, as he read the minutes of the meeting of the Supreme Defense Council.
Kinshasa thus decides to exclude the M23 from the Nairobi dialogue process and warns Rwanda of its desire to disrupt a process which, according to the Congolese government, is heading towards its outcome.
“M23 is considered a terrorist movement, it will now be treated as such, and as such it is excluded from the Nairobi negotiation process. A warning is issued to the Rwandan government, whose position is likely to disrupt the peace process, which is practically ending with a discussion in Nairobi where all armed groups except M23 have entered the path of peace, “added Minister Patrick Muyaya. .
The Nairobi process was launched at the end of April last year by Félix Tshisekedi on the recommendation of the Heads of State of the Community of East African States, and the Nairobi process is a dialogue between the Congolese government and the armed groups aimed at achieving disarmament and demobilization of combatants. for a return to peace in the DRC.
After the first phase of consultations with the armed groups, between 22 and 28 April in Nairobi, a joint delegation from the DRC presidency and the Kenyan embassy traveled for ten days to North and South Kivu as well as to Ituri to discuss with the armed forces. groups and community leaders.
EU support for the process
During a working meeting with the ambassadors of the European Union accredited to the Congolese capital last Friday, 27 May, the Special Representative of the Head of State, Professor Serge Tshibangu, announced that “the representatives of the 56 groups of armed forces and 40 community leaders met expressed support for the Nairobi process.According to him, the deterioration of the security situation in North Kivu is mainly due to sustained attacks from negative forces and it does not affect the ongoing process.
According to a delegation from the Congolese Presidency, EU diplomats, through the voice of the organization’s Ambassador to Kinshasa Jean-Marc Châtaigner, reiterated the multifaceted support of the international community for the process.
The teams must therefore move on to the second phase of the dialogue in Nairobi. Consultations closely followed by President Kenya Uhuru Kenyatta on behalf of the East African Community (EAC).
Read also: DRC confirms Kigali’s support for M23 and announces in particular the suspension of Rwandair flights on its territory and the convening of the Rwandan ambassador