– The first edition of the Moroccan Jewish Food Festival is a project funded by USAID, which is part of the Dakira program, which aims to promote cultural diversity in Morocco. This is an opportunity to remember that Jewish cuisine is permeated by its Moroccan roots, deeply linked to the values of Judaism, as it is a model of fusion between Israel and Morocco.
Through the transmission of memory between generations, Moroccan cuisine is today very well known all over the world, but unfortunately the Jewish facet of this cuisine is not known in Morocco. All the tastes of childhood have always been shaped by multiple inheritances.
Recipes are evolving and maturing under the sky that has seen everyone born and grow, and our mission will be to bring them from beyond borders. It is therefore necessary to promote Jewish cuisine to professionals in the sector in order to prepare a favorable environment for this new goal of Moroccan tourism, able to maintain it, especially as the Kingdom prepares to welcome more than 200,000 Israeli Jewish tourists , who want to have kosher food, which requires training of the Moroccan market in Kosher.
– How has Jewish Moroccan cuisine evolved over time?
– The values of Moroccan Judaism have always been reflected in its society, which in its way of making a dish and even in its way of dividing them, has remained true to its ancient traditions. The Jewish Moroccan woman who ruled over her kitchen was unaware that her modest “rich” accumulated treasures of words, gestures, proverbs, and know-how, which were collected, inherited, and then offered. A capital that travels from generation to generation, returned with loyalty. Old and authentic recipes that do not show pastism.
This shows that there is a great synergy between the older generation, who know their traditions and their dishes well, and the new generation, who innovate and update them to our liking, respect their bases, without forgetting their adaptation to international needs, for our cuisine to be international. The Moroccan Jewish community has been able to prolong this natural connection, and this memory continues by preserving these customs, which form the heart of the tables.
– Since the resumption of Moroccan-Israeli relations, we have noticed a massive influx of Jews into the kingdom. What effect on the image of Morocco?
– These Jewish Moroccans in the world are excellent ambassadors for our culture and our heritage. Today, the return of these Moroccans will be very beneficial for our country, our tourism sector as well as the development of skills in several sectors. This return requires adaptation to this type of clientele, who are very attached to their country of origin and who will do anything to give a better picture of their customs.
– What is the significance of education to promote Jewish culture in all its dimensions?
– The festival was an opportunity to sign an agreement between the supervisory authority and ISITT, which focused on three areas, namely the creation of a master’s degree in Jewish-Moroccan heritage within the institute, the training of guides practicing Hebrew and the organization of cooking workshops and conferences. on Jewish-Moroccan gastronomy. This majority Morocco began with this higher education, but this dynamic must be developed from national education.
Today, the Moroccan state is working to profile the Moroccan Jewish clientele in order to meet its demands and respect its rules. Morocco’s strategy for religious freedom and multiculturalism is based on the dynamics of the country’s long historical experience, the religious principles that require moderation and solidarity, and the royal institution that strives to ensure the protection of local religious and ethnic minorities and interfaith dialogue.
Morocco’s defining characteristic has been the mixture of civilizations, religions, peoples and races throughout history and across generations. It has been shown to be able to cope with a wide range of migrations. Because of its appreciation of multiculturalism, the kingdom has created a space for coexistence and human connection.