Fontmerle pond in Mougins dangerous for dogs, info or intoxication?

A single post on social media was enough to terrorize dog owners. “After a walk by the Fontmerle pond in Mougins, my dog ​​at the vet’s is in critical condition due to the bacteria he caught in the water”, warns a young woman, on Facebook. Namely cyanobacteria, also called “blue algae”.

Her message in which the young woman advises internet users to “be very careful”has been shared more than seven hundred times on various Facebook groups.

In the comments, same runaway. Because there is something! These toxin-producing microorganisms (hepatotoxins, neurotoxins and dermatotoxins) develop mainly in stagnant water, which is forbidden to swim.

When environmental conditions, such as high temperatures and lack of water, are favorable for them, they can multiply rapidly and massively on the surface. Sometimes in just a few days.

Their “inhalation” or their “accidental ingestion” can “be fatal”warns Ansen’s site (national agency for food, environment and occupational safety).

“Animal mortality, mainly dogs, but also sometimes cattle or wildlife, has been recorded in recent years following exposure to toxoid-producing cyanobacterial blooms”.

Several inconsistencies

Despite the health risks these cyanobacteria can pose, his post fascinated other internet users. Was the animal really contaminated by these microorganisms? With what water did he quench his thirst? Did she make analyzes to be able to shout it out loud and clear?

First of all, it should be noted that the owner’s speech is changing as to the place where her eleven-month-old Malinois would have been drinking: in the exchanges we are talking first about the Fontmerles pond, then about a canal, finally a fountain.

Without presenting any evidence, the owner of the dog immediately proclaimed loud and clear that it was cyanobacterial poisoning.

In the process, she opened an online kitty for “help him pay” treatment invoiced (500 euros) by Clausonne’s veterinary clinic in Valbonne.

And with good reason, his four-legged companion, who suffered from vomiting and diarrhea after this famous walk, was infused and hospitalized.

“Some people think I’m lying and called the vet clinic to make sure my dog ​​was sick”says the worried one.

The diagnosis falls

Dom? “We diagnosed viral gastroenteritis of unknown origin, says Dr. Paoletti. It can be any virus. ”

If cyanobacteria? “It is, among other things, a suspicion. But it has clearly not been identified. The dog had no neurological or liver problems except when he was hospitalized, when he staggered and showed weakness.”

The vet remains cautious. For him, the doubt persists because poisoning with cyanobacteria can cause this kind of symptoms.

Only further investigations would make it possible to be sure. Problem? Their costs: “good hundred euros”according to Dr. Paoletti. “His care had already cost me almost 500 euros, I could not pay more”apologizes to the owner of the doggie.

So why is she pointing to the microorganisms in question? “I described my dog’s condition to the Cyanobacteria Alert Facebook group. I was told that the story resembled cyanobacterial poisoning.” That’s all.

No clinical case

The Clausonnes team, for its part, ensures that this is not the case “no clinical case”. Also asked, “Valmasque Departmental Park teams have not observed any impact on the fauna of the pond”. Especially since, according to the county council, no dead duck has been identified.

“This story assumes crazy proportions on the networks, notes Dr. Paoletti. We must not fall into psychosis. “ Before you make dog owners aware “string walks”. “During this period, they must not walk unattended. Nor drink stagnant water.”

As for the malinois in question: his health improved after symptomatic treatment.

Leave a Comment