Just like us, dogs need their own little place, so why not give them a cozy doghouse? Whether it is placed indoors or outdoors, it is much more than a bed for your pet. It gives him a shelter to rest undisturbed and allows him to sleep dry and sheltered from the wind. The ideal is to take a niche that measures 1.5 to 2 times the length of your dog. Often made of plastic or wood, it comes in a multitude of models. It is not always easy to choose, so we have prepared a selection of the best dog farms.
The two types of dog houses
Before you start buying one dog houseknow that there are two kinds:
- That exterior niche: it is made of hard materials and often takes the form of a small hut with a waterproof roof and insulated walls. It is designed to hold and protect the animal from bad weather. However, note that in very cold areas it is best not to let your dog sleep outside.
- That interior nichee : made of cloth, it often looks like a tried or a teepee. It is not used to protect the animal, but it gives it a small hiding place and a place to rest. For comfort, you can add a pillow. It is often aimed at small dogs.
Where to place a dog house?
- If it is an external niche: it is best to place it away from drafts and as close as possible to the house so that the dog feels less alone. In addition, he will be able to benefit from the protection that your home offers against the wind. In the summer, place–there under a tree for shade. In the winter, putthere on concrete blocks. Insulating it from the ground will prevent the kennel from deteriorating due to moisture and it will be more comfortable for your pet.
- If it is an interior niche: it should be placed on the floor, it is best to place it in the living room because it is a pleasant and lively area. Your dog needs socialization and contact with family members. Avoid placing the doghouse out of the way, under stairs or in a closet.
Choosing yours dog houseit is important to take into account these two criteria:
- The material : as explained, the material of dog house depends on where you want to place it. If you need an interior niche, prefer toare substances soft. If you plan to take an outdoor niche, wood and plastic are preferable. We have made sure to select manufactured niches with various materials.
- The dimensions: in addition to its design, you must first choose the right niche size. It will depend on the size of your dog. Choose A model 1.5 to 2 times longer than your pet. You will therefore find several sizes of in our guide dog house.
Discover our selection of the best products immediately in our special buying guide dog house !
Which dog mat should you buy?
Wooden dog house – DOG Copenhagen
Note to owners of large dogs who need space, this lacquered pine kennel is made for them!
- Material: wood.
- Dimensions: 104 x 68 x 72 cm (L x W x H).
Our opinion:This quality kennel is made of lacquered pine and is ideal for large dogs that need space. With its rectangular shape, your pet will be able to comfortably seek shelter because its left side is well insulated from the entrance, unlike a classic model.
Tipi tent for dogs – Sunnykud
With its built-in cushion and breathable cotton design, this indoor dog house is the most comfortable for your pet.
- Material : cotton canvas.
- Dimensions: 40 x 40 x 50 cm (LxWxH).
- Available in different sizes and different colors.
Our opinion:This kennel specially designed for indoor use is made of breathable cotton. Ultra comfortable for your pooch, it has a white cushion and is machine washable. Shaped like a tipi, it will look good in a living room or in the garden.
Outdoor dog kennel – Ferplast
Modular in design, this ultra-ventilated doghouse features drop-down walls, a removable roof and even a ventilation grille. At this price, it’s a bargain!
- Material: plastic.
- Dimensions: 88 x 65 x 72 cm (LxWxH).
- Available in different sizes.
Our opinion:Impact and UV resistant, this model has side walls that open to form a platform for your pet to sunbathe on while still being close to its kennel when it’s warm. The roof is also removable for easy maintenance. Besides, she is equipped with an internal ventilation gride for good ventilation and a dry environment.
Outdoor wooden dog house – Kerbl
With its tarred roof, its double insulating walls and its transparent slatted curtain, this solid niche is very well thought out.
- Material: plastic.
- Dimensions: 83 x 100 x 94 cm (L x W x H).
Our opinion:With its Double walls with thermal insulation, this niche is ideal in summer as in winter. In addition, it has a transparent slat curtain at the entrance to protect your pet from wind and rain. We also love its ultra-waterproof bitumen roof.